- All competitors will take full responsibility for their own actions and safety throughout this competition, at the weigh-in and prize-giving. Likewise, parents/guardians will be directly responsible for their child competitors, and all their children who are non-competitors at the weigh-in and prize-giving.
- Competitors must present their Firearms Licence if they win the gun.
- All hunters must hold a current Firearms Licence.
- Fishermen must hold a valid Trout Fishing Licence and be able to produce it if asked at the weigh in.
- There are to be no aircraft-shot animals.
- No trapped animals, except for possums.
- Hunters and fishermen must have permission or a hunting permit to hunt/fish the land they are on.
- Only feral animals will be accepted.
- All game entered must have been shot/caught within the hours of this competition’s dates.
- NO animals will be reweighed.
- Hunters must dispose of carcasses in an appropriate manner.
- In the case of a draw, the winner will be decided by a coin toss.
- Organisers of this competition are eligible to enter.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- Competitors must be present at the prize-giving to claim spot prizes. Unclaimed prizes will be redrawn.
- Anyone who is found to be cheating in this competition will have their entry refused in the future.
- No changes can be made once entry has been submitted.
- Please note that all alcohol consumed at the event must be purchased from the bar on site.
Any person over the age of 18 years will require a wristband to purchase alcohol. Proof of ID will be required to get this wristband.
No wristband, no alcohol, no exceptions.
- No wristband, no alcohol sale, no exceptions.
- No BYO drinks. The bar will close at 8.30pm.
- All alcohol is to be consumed within the designated area.
- EFTPOS available at event. No cash out.
- If due to COVID-19 the event is cancelled, we will offer a full refund to all competitors.
- Youths Combined Weight: Individuals or Teams must have a Trout, an Eel and a Possum or Hare to combine their weights.
- Adults Combined Weight: Individuals or Teams must have a Deer (Red or Fallow), Boar and Trout to enter. Their total combined weights will determine the winners.
- Best Scored Head: This is open to all the game animals entered: Goats, Chamois, Boars, Fallow and Red Deer.
- Eels have no size or weight restrictions; however no more than 6 may be caught by one person on one day.
- We only accept live eels at weigh-in.
- Live eels should be kept in running water.
- Trout must exceed 30cm, and be left whole and gutted. We encourage only prize-winning trout to be harvested.
Fishing rules apply as stated on fishing licence. You may go to the following link for more information:
- Possums – to be left whole and not gutted.
- Hares – to be left whole and not gutted.
- There is no limit to the number of possums, hares or magpies entered.
- Pigs – only boars will be accepted and must weigh more than 25kgs, carcass to have head attached, no offal.
- Deer (Red and Fallow) – carcass must have head attached, no offal.
- Chamois and Goats – carcass must have head attached, no offal.
You have the opportunity to bring your fresh trout or live eels in for weighing on Friday or Saturday between 4:00-5:00pm at the Ahaura Domain.
All game and fish must be presented in a fresh state.
The nominated committee members and/or judge have the right to accept or decline any animal or trout.
The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The person entering must have registered in the Ahaura Hunting and Fishing Competition.
- Write your registration number on the back of the photo, available at the marquee.
- Please collect photos after prize giving.
- The photo needs to reflect the weekend’s hunting and fishing.
- By entering your photo you agree that it may be used for future publicity.
Terms and Conditions
A maximum of 4 people per team.
- Adults (16 years +): $30.00.
- Youths (9-15 years): $10.00.
- Kids (0-8 years): $5.00.
All competitors must have their entry forms in and registration fee paid by Friday 26th March.
Cancellation of Event
Cancellation of the event will be notified on this website and the Ahaura Hunting & Fishing Competition Facebook page.
If due to COVID the event is cancelled we will offer a full refund to all competitors.
Refunds will not be provided for any other reason.